Background and Mission | Officers and Councilors | Chapter Annual Meeting | Past Meetings
Background and Mission
The formation of the local Midwest affiliate of the American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET) was spearheaded on June 10, 1987 by Dr. William K. Riker, past president of ASPET, Dr. Seymour Ehrenpreis of the Chicago Medical School, Dr. Toshio Narahashi of Northwestern Medical School, and Dr. Israel Hanin of Loyola University Chicago. Key individuals in the Chicago area were then contacted to establish a voluntary executive working group that ultimately organized the first Scientific Day at the University of Chicago on Thursday, May 12, 1988.
Since the first scientific program, annual meetings have been held each spring to foster the goals of ASPET to promote scientific communication among research workers interested in pharmacology. The chapter has consistently met the ASPET requirements of a chapter affiliate throughout its existence by holding a least one annual meeting, maintaining a membership roster of at least 20 ASPET members in good standing.
Officers and Councilors (2013–2014)
- President - Sanda Predescu, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Pharmacology, Rush University, Jelke Bldg., 1653 W. Congress Pkwy., Room 1535, Chicago, IL 60612 | (t) 312-563-2437 | email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Councilor - Eric A.G. Blomme, PhD, DVM, Investigative Toxicology, Pharmacology and Pathology, AbbVie Inc., 100 Abbott Park Road, Dept. R463, Bldg. AP9A/224, Abbott Park, IL 60064 | (t) 847-937-2269 | email: email@example.com
- Treasurer - Kuei Tseng, MD, PhD, Associate Professor, Rosalind Franklin University, 3333 Green Bay Rd., North Chicago, IL 60064 | (t) 847-578-8655 | email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary - Ricardo Monzon, PhD, Assistant Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, St. Xavier University, 3700 West 103rd Street, Chicago, IL 60655 | (t) 773-341-5241 | email: email@example.com
- Councilor - Saverio Gentile, PhD, Assistant Professor, Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Loyola University, Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, 2160 S. First Ave., Maywood, IL 60153 | (t) 708-216-3263 | email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Councilor - Philip Kopf, PhD, Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacology, CCOM, Midwestern University, 555 31st St, Downers Grove, IL 60515 | (t) 630-515-6427 | email: email@example.com
- Councilor - Irena Levitan, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, 840 South Wood St (MC 719), Chicago, IL 60612 | (t) 312-996-0441 | email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Councilor - James J. O’Donnell III, PhD, Post-doctoral fellow, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, 5841 S. Maryland Avenue, Room G500, Chicago, IL 60637 | (t) 847-275-2394 | email: James.email@example.com
- Past President - Alejandro M.S. Mayer, PhD, MS.Ed, Professor, Department of Pharmacology, CCOM, Midwestern University, 555 31st St., Downers Grove, IL 60515 | (t) 630-515-6951 | (f) 630-515-6295 | email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Chapter Annual Meeting
The Great Lakes chapter's annual meetings have consistently drawn a wide representation of the mid-western pharmacology community. The chapter's 2015 annual meeting on "Epigenetics and Human Disease: From Etiology to New Therapeutics" is scheduled to be held in Chicago, Illinois on June 26, 2015. For more information, please download the 2015 GLC Annual Meeting Save-the-Date Flyer. Detailed information about registration and abstract submission will be made available this Spring. To read all abstracts presented at the 2014 annual meeting, please click here.