Purpose: To introduce undergraduate students to pharmacology research in order to heighten interest in science as a career, with an emphasis on pharmacology graduate training to increase the number of young scientists entering the research discipline of pharmacology.
Institutional SURF fellowship
Deadline: October 1, 2013 for Summer 2014
Application and Guidelines (Download PDF)
Non-competing Progress Report Form (PDF)
email to: email@example.com
Individual SURF Fellowship
Deadline: March 1, 2014 for Summer 2014
Application and Guidelines (Download PDF)
SURF Travel Awards
Application and Guidelines
GUIDELINES FOR INSTITUTIONAL AWARDS
(Summer of 2014)
Application Deadline: October 1, 2013
A group of at least five ASPET Regular members from one institution may wish to apply for support of up to $9,000 for an undergraduate fellowship program, to include up to five students stipends. Students are to receive at least a $2,800 stipend for a minimum of ten weeks participation. It is anticipated that the request for funding will include matching funds of at least $5,000 from local resources. Program Directors are expected to sponsor SURF Fellows for student membership in ASPET at the onset of their summer research experience. Undergraduate student membership in ASPET is free.
There is no application form. Application should be made by a Program Director who must be an ASPET Regular member in good standing and must include:
- Brief descriptions of research projects students will pursue, including name and position of individual who will supervise each project, description of project, and the degree of independence expected of the students.
- A description of other activities available to the students, e.g. seminars, lectures, courses, etc., including descriptions of other such undergraduate programs at the applicants' institution and how the pharmacology program might interact.
- A description of how the students will be recruited and selected for the summer program, including efforts to include women and minorities.
- A description of how the students will report on their research results. This might include preparation of a written report, a departmental-wide poster session, etc.
- CV's (brief format similar to NIH) of ASPET members in whose laboratories research projects will be conducted as well as a list of current research support.
- Assurances of laboratory safety training (including possible chemical and biological hazards), appropriate consideration for safe and humane animal handling and radioisotope methodology
- A mechanism for tracking program participants once they leave the summer program and the current whereabouts of previous trainees, especially those in research career tracks.
- A list of the current whereabouts of SURF Fellows for the past five years or the length of the program, if less than five years.
- Information on whether trainees in the past five years attended regional/national meetings, the name of the meeting, whether they presented a poster or were listed as a co-author on an abstract, and whether they applied for a travel award to attend the meeting.
Application should be emailed as a SINGLE PDF to Danielle Jordan, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional information about this program, please contact Danielle Jordan, email@example.com.
Terms of the Award: Awards are normally made for three (3) years. No indirect costs will be provided. All funds shall be used for student stipends/wages only. All Awards will be made directly to institutions. Please indicate to whom checks should be made payable in your application. Awardees will be notified by December 15 of the year preceding the summer research period.
Progress Report: Program directors of funded programs must submit a brief report to ASPET no later than October 1 of the award year. A progress report form can be accessed online . There is no requirement to file a financial report at the end of the grant period.
These fellowships are funded through the Gerald J. Dalton/Vincent G. Zannoni Fund (established by a bequest from the late Mildred Marie Dalton) or the Anthony and Teresa Zannoni Fund (established by a bequest from the late Vincent Zannoni) and the recipients are designated Zannoni Fellows.
GUIDELINES FOR INDIVIDUAL AWARDS
(Summer of 2014)
Application Deadline: March 1, 2014
The Sponsor must be an ASPET Regular Member in good standing or a Retired Member who is still active in research. It is expected that the student will work on a research project with some degree of freedom for a minimum of 10 weeks. A stipend of $2800 will be provided for the student, and it is anticipated that this will be supplemented with local funds. The Sponsor is expected to sponsor the SURF Fellow for student membership in ASPET at the beginning of their summer research experience. Undergraduate student membership in ASPET is free. Applications from women and underrepresented minorities are particularly encouraged.
There is no application form. Application should be made by the Sponsor who must be an ASPET Regular or active Retired Member in good standing and must include:
- A letter from the sponsor to include
- a brief description of the proposed research,
- qualifications of the candidate,
- the degree of independence the student will have and the name and position of the individual who will directly supervise the student,
- a description of complementary activities available to the student, e.g. seminars, classes, etc.,
- a description of how the student will report on the research results,
- appropriate safety assurances, and
- the name and contact information of the institutional individual responsible for receiving the check (also indicate to whom the check should be made payable)
- A copy of the ASPET Regular member sponsor's updated CV (brief format similar to NIH) and list of current research support.
- A letter from the candidate indicating the nature of his/her interest in the project and a description of the candidate's future plans.
- A list of additional fellowship support student has applied for.
- Copies of all the student's undergraduate transcripts (student copies are acceptable).
The individual application should be emailed as a SINGLE PDF to Danielle Jordan, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms of the Award: No indirect costs will be provided. All funds shall be used for student stipends only. All awards will be made directly to institutions. Please indicate to whom checks should be made payable in your letter. Awardees and sponsors will be notified by April 15 if an award is to be made.
Progress Report: Sponsors are responsible for ensuring that each SURF Fellow submits a one-page report of his/her research experience to ASPET no later than September 15 of the year of the award. This report should include contact information for the student once they leave the sponsor’s laboratory. There is no requirement to file a financial report at the end of the fellowship period.
If you need additional information about this program, please contact Danielle Jordan, email@example.com.
A portion of these awards is funded by the Glenn E. Ullyot Fund. The recipients of these stipends are designated Ullyot Fellows. Dr. Ullyot has generously provided this fund to support stipends for the education and training of students at the undergraduate and graduate levels in the chemical and biological sciences that ASPET believes will benefit the profession of pharmacology and society in general.
GUIDELINES FOR SURF FELLOW TRAVEL AWARDS
Travel awards to attend the ASPET Annual Meeting (EB) are available to SURF Fellows at the meeting following their SURF award. Applicants must be an author on an abstract to be presented at the meeting but do NOT have to be the first author. The Travel Award provides for an award of $600, complimentary meeting registration, and up to $400 in travel reimbursement after the meeting, with original receipts. Application forms are posted on the ASPET Web prior to each Annual Meeting.
SURF Travel Awards for EB '14 - San Diego, CA - (December 11, 2013 deadline)
Additional Summer Undergraduate Research Opportunities