Thank you for giving a talk at the ASPET Annual Meeting! Your contributions to the field are invaluable. Our travel reimbursement policies reflect ASPET’s not-for-profit tax status and mission. We are aware that they may not fully cover all your travel expenses. Our intention is to defray your costs to assist with your obtaining approval to participate from your employers.
Parameters to be Eligible for Complimentary Registration
WHO: ASPET will pay for a full-conference registration badge for all symposium chairs, invited speakers, abstract-based speakers in symposia, panel moderators, and award lecturers.
HOW: ASPET will submit the registration paperwork for you and you will receive an email confirmation in February. If you have already registered, ASPET will reimburse after the meeting but only up to the registration rate at the early bird discounted pricing level.
Parameters to be Eligible for Travel Reimbursement
- Invited speakers must be scheduled to give a talk of at least 20 minutes to be eligible for travel funds. If a speaker is also moderating a panel or serving as a discussion group facilitator, the time for this activity may be included. Question and answer time does not count in the 20 minutes.
- Abstract-based speakers who are undergraduates, graduate students, or postdocs are eligible for travel funds regardless of the length of their talk.
- Chairs and co-chairs who are not giving a talk of at least 20 minutes, are not eligible for travel funds.
Limits to Travel Reimbursements
Each symposium is allocated up to $4800 for speaker travel reimbursements and/or any non-standard audio visual equipment needed for the presentations. The symposium chairs decide how the funds are allocated with the following limits.
- Chairs may allocate only up to $1000 for travel reimbursement to speakers from North America.
- Chairs may allocate only up to $1500 for travel reimbursement for overseas speakers.
- Chairs may allocate only up to $100 for travel reimbursement to local speakers.
How to Apply for Reimbursement
- Use the Speaker Reimbursement form sent to you from ASPET or downloaded from the ASPET website. Do not type over prior year’s reimbursement form.
- Scan your receipts and email them with your reimbursement form to email@example.com (save original receipts until your reimbursement check arrives in case we have any questions) or you can mail your form and receipts to us at: ASPET, 9650 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20814
- Reimbursement requests MUST be received no later than 90 days following the end of the meeting or we may be unable to honor them. Checks will be issued within four weeks of receiving a Speaker Reimbursement Request form and the required receipts.
Speaker Practice Room
All speakers should check their presentation in the Speaker Practice Room at least 4 hours in advance (if possible) to verify the presentation will function on the equipment provided. Speakers should arrive in their session room a half hour before the session starts.
Speaker Practice Room Location:
McCormick Place Convention Center
West Building, Level 1, W191
Subject to change, check final program to confirm location
Speaker Practice Room Hours:
Saturday – Wednesday, 7:00 am – 6:00 pm
Preparing Your Presentation
All EB session rooms will be equipped with a data projector and laptop computer as well as a podium microphone, a headtable microphone and an aisle microphone.
- Bring your presentation on a Windows readable USB flash Drive or CD-ROM.
- When building your presentation, use standard fonts (e.g., Times Roman, Helvetica, Arial, New Times Roman), basic fonts are included on the session room PCs but if an unusual font is used it may not translate.
- Include in the same folder as your presentation, any external files utilized, e.g. movie/video files. Copy the entire folder to the USB flash Drive or CD ROM.
- Test your presentation on a separate PC compatible computer to insure fonts are standard and components such as movies/videos are included rather than merely linked in your presentation.
- Review these specifications when preparing your presentation.
- The computers in the session room and speaker ready rooms will support PC and Mac presentations.
The operating system will be Windows XP Professional, and software will include: Microsoft Office XP, Adobe Acrobat Reader, QuickTime*, Windows Media Player, Flash Player.
* ALL Quick-Time users should make sure to visit the speaker practice room AT LEAST 24 hours in advance, due to additional processing time that may be required.
We recommend that you bring a backup presentation format to cover the possibility of luggage loss, theft, and/or incompatibility.
You do not need to bring your own laptop to the meeting room.
However, if you prefer to use your own laptop, it can be accommodated under the following circumstances.
- Coordinate with your session chair so that extra time is built in to the schedule to switch your laptop to the ones being used for the speaker before and after you. This will shorten the available time for your individual presentation.
- Speakers using their own laptops MUST BRING THEIR OWN VGA HD15pin female output. Some laptops have special video output cables to get to the HD15pin required for connecting to external monitors and data projectors. If this cable is not with the laptop being used there is no way to connect to a Data Projector. The laptop output resolution should be no more than XGA (1024x768). The native resolution on the data projectors is 1024x768 so higher resolutions will force the data projector into a compression mode possibly losing some information or not projecting.
Slide projection of 2x2 slides and overhead projectors are NOT provided.
The meeting rooms at the McCormick Place Convention Center are equipped with complimentary wifi appropriate for light usage. For up/downloading of videos, live streaming, or other complicated or critical needs, please check with ASPET for approval of the additional expense.
When will I know if my abstract has been accepted for presentation for an oral symposium slot or a poster presentation?
Acceptance letters will be emailed by February 21, 2017 to the first author.
Who are the other speakers and topics at my symposium?
See the Program page.
What day/time is my symposium being held?
Please check for an email from ASPET with the subject line “ASPET Speaker Logistics at EB2017.” Or search the full program.
Will there be a room in Chicago for speakers to practice their presentations?
The Speaker Practice Rooms are tentatively located in the McCormick Place Convention Center, West Building, Level 1, Room W191 (subject to change, please check final EB program for assignment). They are open from Saturday through Wednesday from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm.
What audio visual equipment will be in my session room?
All session rooms will be equipped with a data projector, screen, and PC laptop computer as well as a podium microphone, a headtable microphone and an aisle microphone. If additional audio visual equipment is needed, please contact both your symposium chair who will need to approve and re-allocate the session budget and ASPET (firstname.lastname@example.org) who will get the item ordered.
Will there be internet access in the session rooms?
The McCormick Place Convention Center offers complimentary wifi in its meeting rooms and lobbies that is appropriate for light usage. For up/downloading of videos, live streaming, or other complicated or critical needs, please contact ASPET and your session chair to discuss budgeting for upgraded service.
Do I need to turn in my presentation in advance to ASPET or an audio visual technician?
Please come to your session room at least a half-hour prior to your session start time to work with the in-room audio visual technician to load your presentation directly to the laptop in the session room. You do not need to send your slides to ASPET.
Can I bring my own laptop?
You do not need to bring your own laptop, but if you prefer to, please refer to the oral presentation instructions in regard to cables you’ll also need to bring. Please alert your symposium chair if you are bringing your own laptop so they can redo the timing of the talks to allow time to switch computers in the middle of the session.
Do I need to submit an abstract?
You do not need to submit an abstract related to your invited talk. However, if you have different research to present, you are welcome to submit an abstract for consideration for a poster presentation.
Do I need to register for Experimental Biology?
If you are an invited symposium speaker, you do not need to register for Experimental Biology. ASPET will handle completing the forms for all invited speakers and will pay EB directly for your registration fees. You will receive a registration confirmation from EB in February. If you are an abstract-based speaker, please check your confirmation letter for clarification on how registration is being handled or contact ASPET at email@example.com.
I’m interested in a session offered by another society at Experimental Biology. Can I attend?
Your badge for Experimental Biology gains you access to all of the 6 participating societies sessions. Download the EB2017 mobile app for a listing of all events at EB.
How are my travel expenses handled?
Please refer to the Speaker Guidelines for ASPET Travel Reimbursement
What travel expenses are reimbursable?
Please refer to the Speaker Guidelines for ASPET Travel Reimbursement
What if my travel expenses are estimated to be more than I’ve been allotted?
Our travel reimbursement policies reflect ASPET’s not-for-profit tax status and mission. We are aware that they may not fully cover all your travel expenses. Our intention is to defray your costs to assist with your obtaining approval to participate from your employers.
What if I am a government employee and am prohibited from accepting travel reimbursements?
Please contact ASPET prior to January 13, 2017 at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss alternatives.
Will ASPET reserve a hotel room for me?
You will need to make your own hotel reservations! EB has arranged discounts on hotel rooms at a variety of hotels. We encourage you to make your reservations as soon as possible to secure your preferred hotel.
Will ASPET book my flight for me?
You will need to book your own flight. To stretch your reimbursement dollars, ASPET has arranged for discounts on Southwest Airlines and United Airlines if these airlines are convenient for you. More info on airlines discounts can be found on the Travel Information page. Please note, airfare reimbursements are based on making non-refundable, coach airfare reservations at least two weeks in advance and do not include change fees.
How do I claim my travel reimbursement?
In April ASPET will provide each speaker who is allotted travel reimbursement monies a customized Travel Reimbursement Form. After the meeting, you must complete the form detailing your expenses and attach your receipts. ASPET will mail a check to you after the meeting to reimburse for travel expenses up to the amount the chair has allotted.
Where can I find more information about the other activities at Experimental Biology?
On the Experimental Biology website.
How else can I help make this a successful meeting?
Tell your friends and colleagues in the field about your participation at the ASPET Annual Meeting at Experimental Biology. Share the news via email, on social media, on department bulletin boards, and in conversations. Encourage them all to attend.