Academy of Pharmacology Educators
ASPET and the Division for Pharmacology Education are pleased to announce that applications for membership in the Academy of Pharmacology Educators are now being accepted. The purpose of the Academy of Pharmacology Educators is to provide a means to recognize individuals, who have made exemplary contributions to pharmacology education in one or more of the following areas, student–teacher interaction, innovative contributions, scholarly endeavors, and/or professional development and service. Applications are encouraged from ASPET members who may be more junior in rank, but who have chosen to focus career goals on the education mission.
The application deadline has been extended to Friday, January 8, 2016.
The application instructions can be found here. The last date for receipt of applications is the first Monday in January for members to be inducted in the same year. Applications submitted after that date will be reviewed the following year. Application materials should be submitted online using the button link below. Any questions should be directed to Robert Theobald (firstname.lastname@example.org). Notification of new Academy Members will be made as soon as possible or at least a month before the EB meeting. The induction ceremony will occur at the DPE business meeting during the EB meeting.
Applicants should provide the following:
- Application letter
- Letters of support (4)
- History of active membership in ASPET and the DPE
- Evidence of scholarship in pharmacology education, including:
o Education-related publications, abstracts and presentations/workshops
o Funded grants supporting education
- Documentation of creation of/involvement in innovative educational activities/programs
- Evidence of experience in pharmacology education, such as:
o Direct classroom instruction
o Course/program leadership
o Mentorship of students
- Teaching awards/Evaluations of teaching performance/Community service
- Involvement in life-long learning (personal development and leadership in faculty development of others)
- Professional service related to pharmacology education
Application for membership into the Academy of Pharmacology Educators is completed online through a system that identifies applications according to a computer’s IP address. Application information will be saved only if an applicant accesses their application with the same computer and the same network on which the application was begun. If an applicant’s network assigns random IP addresses it will be necessary to complete the application in one sitting.
Applications will be reviewed by at least three members of the members of the Academy of Pharmacology Educators Membership Committee, which consists of the DPE Executive Committee, DPE councilors, and volunteer members from the Division for Pharmacology Educators. Members of the Pharmacology Educators Membership Committee have agreed
to forego application to the Academy of Pharmacology Educators until the
membership process involves members of the Academy. In order to determine if you meet membership expectations, please review the evaluation criteria here.
Members of the Academy of Pharmacology Educators
- David W. Hein, PhD | Professor and Chair, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, Kentucky 40202 | Membership date 2010
- Patricia Bell Williams, PhD, FCP | Professor Emerita of Pharmacology and Ophthalmology (as of April 2014), Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, Virginia 23501 | Membership date 2010
- Robin W. Rockhold, PhD | Deputy Chief Academic Officer, Professor of Pharmacology, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, The University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS 39216 | Membership date 2011
- Kelly Karpa, PhD | Associate Professor, Department of Pharmacology, Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033 | Membership date 2013
- Raymond R. Mattingly, PhD | Professor, Department of Pharmacology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48201 | Membership date 2014
- Reza Mehvar, PharmD, PhD | Professor and Chair, Department of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chapman University School of Pharmacy, Orange, CA 92866 | Membership date 2014
- Georg Petroianu, MD, PhD, FCP | Professor and Chair, Department of Cellular Biology and Pharmacology, Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, Miami, FL 33199 | Membership date 2014
- Senthil Kumar Rajasekaran, MD | Professor, Department of Physiological Sciences, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA 23501 | Membership date 2015
- Robert Soltis, PhD | Ellis and Nelle Levitt Professor of Pharmacology, Drake University College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Des Moines, IA 50311 | Membership date 2015
Last updated: January 4, 2016