COVID-19: Therapeutics, Diagnostics, and Surveillance
2021 GLC ASPET 34th Annual Meeting
August 27, 2021
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Simpson Querrey Auditorium, 303 East Superior Street
Chicago, IL 60611
Download map (PDF)
Download flyer (PDF)
- Poster Session (9:00-10:30 AM) (We encourage posters in all areas of pharmacology and biomedical sciences)
- Young Investigator Symposium (10:30-11:50 pm)
- Nir Drayman, PhD
Pritzker School for Molecular Engineering and the Institute for Systems Biology
The University of Chicago
A drug repurposing screen identifies masitinib as a 3CLpro inhibitor that blocks replication of SARS-CoV-2 in vivo
- Lamiaa El-Shennawy
Department of Pharmacology, Feinberg School of Medicine
Circulating ACE2-expressing extracellular vesicles block SARS-CoV2 infection as an innate antiviral response
- Lisa Volpatti, PhD
Pritzker School for Molecular Engineering
The University of Chicago
Evaluating antigen formulation in COVID-19 subunit vaccines: surface display elicits neutralizing antibodies
- Lianghui (Lucy) Zhang, MD, PhD
Research Assistant Professor
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine
University of Illinois at Chicago
An engineered high-affinity ACE2 peptide therapeutically mitigates lung vascular injury and mortality induced by distinct SARS-CoV-2 variants
- Shihai Huang, PhD
Senior Director, Abbott
- Special Presentation: COVID-19 Diagnostics (11:50-12:20 pm)
- Shihai Huang PhD, Senior Director, Abbott.
- Lunch and Learn Career Workshop for Trainees (12:25-1:30 pm)
- Symposium (1:30 – 4:50 PM)
- GR Scott Budinger, MD Northwestern University. Pathobiology and treatment of SARS-CoV-2 pneumonia
- Tony Haight, PhD Abbvie Inc. COVID-19 therapeutics: lessons learned
- Karen Terio, DVM/PhD Univ. of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. Global surveillance of emerging viruses
- Alexis Demonbreun, PhD Northwestern University. Patterns of COVID-19 prevalence & vaccination in the Chicago area
- Egon Ozer, MD/PhD Northwestern University Chasing emerging COVID-19 variants
- Poster Awards and Business meeting (5:00-5:15 pm)
Abstract Deadline extended! New deadline: Friday, August 20, 2021 by 5:00 PM CDT. Send completed abstract form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download Abstract Submission Form
We encourage all attendees to register online by August 25, 2021. If you have any issues or question regarding the meeting please contact Yennifer Hernandez.
Use the GLC webpage link to register and pay online by credit card via the secure servers of ASPET.
Online registration ends 8/25/21 at 11am EST.
Dear Attendees of GLC-ASPET 2021,
We are really excited to see you all at the upcoming GLC ASPET conference on August 27, 2021. Our last in-person meeting was more than two years ago and we are excited to re-engage. The pandemic has added many burdens to our lives, but we need to adapt and move forward.
We have an exciting program planned that provides a chance to learn from the talks, posters, and mentoring events.
Because we are meeting in-person, we will have to follow certain rules to ensure safety and minimize viral transmission risk. Based on the current Northwestern University and the City of Chicago protocols, we stipulate that:
- Everyone is required to wear masks throughout the event except when speaking or eating/drinking. Masks and hand sanitizer will be provided.
- Everyone should do a rapid antigen COVID test (at home is suitable) 24 hours prior to the event. A test 72 hours is also strongly recommended. If anyone tests positive, then they should quarantine and not attend the meeting (see contingency section below).
- Social distancing is to be followed as much as possible and crowding avoided, for e.g., by staggering attendance at posters.
Contingencies: Individuals scheduled to give a talk but who test positive should pre-record the talk into the PowerPoint slide deck so it can be shown to the audience (no Q&A). Likewise, poster presenters who test positive should not attend but have someone else set up and take down the poster.
Thank you for your understanding.
The GLC-ASPET board.