I currently serve as the Program Director for the Pharm D Distance Learning Pathway in the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. As Program Director, I played a central role in the program's design, development, and implementation. In addition, I also played a key role in securing program accreditation, hiring faculty, and managing program needs. The program's implementation required coordinating and organizing activities of diverse working groups within the college and across the University campus, such as Educational Technology, Information technology, and Office of the Provost. With its innovative instructional design and focus on student-centered learning, the program's implementation was a significant milestone for the College of Pharmacy and the University. Most of my service effort centers around curricular activities, and I have actively contributed to the curriculum committee activities, such as improving Board exam preparations, developing a course evaluation plan, and developing faculty professional development sessions.
My pedagogical research focuses on improved delivery methods that promote critical thinking and learning. I am interested in studying the impact of classroom interventions designed to reduce distractions on learning. Our research has shown that interventions such as using graphical representations such as flowcharts or simulation-based case designs can improve learning and understanding. My other area of interest is studying visual imagery's impact on Biosketch format for ASPET Election retention and learning. I have practiced instructional methods that depend on note-taking and hand-drawn illustrations. The results will help us understand the factors that can improve instructions and enhance learning. Developing an understanding of learners' motivations for learning is also a research area of interest. Our studies focus on understanding attributes for motivation and causes of distraction that impact both classroom and online learning.
- Division of Pharmacology Education/Executive committee
Committee Member (2019-current)
- Division of Cardiovascular Pharmacology/Poster competition judge (2022)
- Division of Pharmacology Education/Award recipient review committee
- Committee Member (2019, 2020)
- Co-Chair Teaching Blitz (2019)
- Presented session of "Flowcharts: A Teaching and learning tool designed to integrate biomedical with clinical sciences" ASPET/Abstract review
Other Society Memberships/Activities
- American Associations of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP)
- Chair-Teaching in Innovations Committee (Biology section) (2022-current)
- Reviewer for New Investigator Award (Biology section) (2012-2019)