Award Description | Eligibility | Criteria and Selection | Nomination Submission | Nomination Deadline | Prior Recipients | Donate to this Award
The Julius Axelrod Award in Pharmacology was established in 1991 to honor the memory of the eminent American pharmacologist who shaped the fields of neuroscience, drug metabolism, and biochemistry and who served as a mentor for numerous eminent pharmacologists around the world. The Julius Axelrod Award is presented for significant contributions to understanding the biochemical mechanisms underlying the pharmacological actions of drugs and for contributions to mentoring other pharmacologists. ASPET assumed responsibility of the Julius Axelrod Award in Pharmacology from the Catecholamine Club in 2007.
The award is presented annually, at the award ceremony during the ASPET Annual Meeting. The award consists of:
- An invitation to deliver the Julius Axelrod Lecture at the ASPET Annual Meeting the year following receipt of the Award.
- An invitation to organize the Julius Axelrod Symposium at the ASPET Annual Meeting the year following receipt of the award.
- An invitation by the Catecholamine Club to give a less formal presentation at its annual dinner meeting that year of the award.
- A $5000 honorarium.
- A commemorative medal.
- Complimentary registration and travel expenses for the winner and spouse to attend the ASPET Annual Meeting at Experimental Biology.
- The candidate need not be a member of the Society.
- The nomination must be made by a member of ASPET or the Catecholamine Club.
- No candidate may be nominated for more than one major ASPET award in any given year.
- The current Council president and secretary/treasurer are ineligible during their active tenure.
Criteria and Selection
- The award shall be made on the basis of originality and uniqueness of accomplishments throughout a long career distinguished by sustained, significant contributions to research in pharmacology, to understanding the biochemical mechanisms underlying the pharmacological actions of drugs, as well as significant contributions to mentoring in pharmacology.
- Selection of the recipient will be made by the ASPET Awards Committee, appointed by the President of ASPET.
Nominations shall be submitted using the ASPET Online Awards Portal by logging using the box below. The nominations shall consist of:
- The candidate's curriculum vitae and bibliography in PDF.
- A brief biographical summary of the candidate and the importance of their work for use in award winner announcements (in no more than 150 words.)
- A letter of nomination describing the research and mentoring contributions to pharmacology of the candidate that make him/her eligible for this Award, listing major contributions (in PDF and no more than 1000 words.)
- A list of individuals mentored by the candidate in PDF.
- Optional: Support letters from up to two former trainees who can describe the quality of their training with the candidate and its impact on their careers. They need not be ASPET members. You can provide these either as separate PDFs or you can enter their names and emails into the nomination form and ASPET will allow them to upload their support letters themselves.
- Optional: Up to two additional letters of support. They need not be ASPET members. You can provide these either as separate PDFs or you can enter their names and emails into the nomination form and ASPET will allow them to upload their support letters themselves.
If any of the following relationships exist between the nominator and the candidate, you are encouraged to disclose it in your letter of nomination: family member, spouse, partner; current dean, departmental chair, or postdoctoral or graduate advisor; current business or financial relationship (e.g., business partner, employer, employee); research collaborator or co-author within the last three years; work at the same institution or having accepted a position at the same institution; previous graduate student or postdoctoral fellow in the last five years; or if either are currently serving on the award selection committee for this award.