About ASPET Fellows (FASPET) Program
Selection as a Fellow of the American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (FASPET) is an honor bestowed to our most distinguished members. Fellows are recognized for their meritorious efforts to advance pharmacology, through their scientific achievements, mentorship, and service to the Society.
See the current Class of 2020 Fellows.
The designation of Fellow shall remain valid for the duration of ASPET membership. Candidates should consider the advancement to Fellow status as a request to become more actively engaged in the Society.
The ASPET Fellows program encourages nominations that reflect the breadth and diversity of the Society’s membership.
- The candidate must have been a Regular and/or Emeritus member of ASPET for at least 10 years leading up to the year of nomination and must be a member in good standing.
Candidates should have some combination of the below criteria. The degree of contributions from each may vary from candidate to candidate.
- A scientist who has had a significant and sustained impact on the field of pharmacology.
- Demonstrated commitment to ASPET, through contributions to committees, editorial boards, or scientific meetings.
- Demonstrated commitment to mentorship, teaching, and diversity.
How to Nominate
- A nomination form must be completed by the sponsor or self-nominator using the online ASPET Submission Portal. A sponsor must be a Regular or Emeritus member of ASPET in good standing.
- Each nomination must be accompanied by the nominee’s full CV.
- Each nomination must be accompanied by two letters of support on letterhead. In the case of a sponsored nomination, one of the letters must come from the sponsor. In the case of a self-nomination, at least one support letter must come from an ASPET member. The two support letters must clearly communicate the eligibility requirements and provide a justification for their election as a fellow. Only one of the two support letters can be affiliated with the nominee’s institution.
- Each nomination must be accompanied by a short biography (500 words) that communicates the nominee’s contributions to pharmacology, ASPET, and mentorship/teaching. This biography will be used for ASPET promotion on the website if selected as a Fellow.
- The inclusion of a high resolution headshot of the nominee is encouraged. This will be used in ASPET promotions if selected as a Fellow.
- It is the responsibility of the sponsor or the self-nominee to ensure that all application materials are submitted to ASPET by the deadline. Nominations received after the deadline or nominations packets that are missing material at the time of deadline will not be considered.
Submissions for 2020 are closed. Information for 2021 submissions will be available soon.
Fellow Review Process
The Fellows Review Committee will be responsible for assessing candidates.
The Committee is charged with evaluating nominations and
recommending a list of candidates worthy of ASPET Fellow status to
Council. The recommendations will be presented to the ASPET Council for
final approval. No more than 1% of total eligible members will be
elected each year.
It is expected that the program and requirements for the Fellows
program will be reviewed by the Fellows Review Committee every two years. Any
recommendations for revisions will be put forward to Council for
Re-nomination: Any candidate not chosen for Fellow status will be encouraged to re-apply.
Fellows Review Committee Composition
The committee will consist of up to 10 ASPET Fellows having a term
length of no longer than three years and with approximately one-third of
the committee rotating off each year. The committee is responsible for
both reviewing nominations (including self-nominations) that have been
submitted via the online portal, as well as soliciting nominations where
appropriate. The committee will then compile a list of finalists for
recommendation to the ASPET Council for review and final approval.
How Fellows Are Honored
- Fellows will receive a certificate in a wooden frame and a pin.
- Fellows are recognized by ASPET in various public forums
including a profile on the ASPET website with a picture and
description, announcement in the membership email newsletter, The Pharmacologist magazine, and social media.
- Fellows are recognized and honored at the ASPET Annual Business Meeting.
- Fellows may be asked to serve on the Fellows Review Committee.