Award Description | Eligibility | Criteria and Selection | Nomination Submission | Nomination Deadline | Prior Recipients | Donate to this Award
The Otto Krayer Award in Pharmacology commemorates the enduring legacy of Otto Krayer's personal qualities: his ethical behavior, his commitment to teaching, his high standards of scientific scholarship, publication and editorship, his promotion of interdisciplinary research to reveal the actions of drugs or other chemicals, and his guidance and support of younger scientists. The purpose of the award is to recognize an individual whose character and career contributions to pharmacology are in accord with those exemplified by Otto Krayer.
This award was originally established in 1985, suspended in 2003, and became active again with a presentation at the 2017 ASPET Annual Meeting at Experimental Biology. Thereafter the Krayer Award is presented biennially in even numbered years starting in 2018. The suspension of the award was due to limited financial support and its return was made possible by a generous gift to ASPET. Additional donations made in memory of Dr. Otto Krayer will help ensure the long-term financial stability of the award.
More information on Otto Krayer.
The award is presented biennially, in even numbered years, at the award ceremony during the ASPET Annual Meeting. The award consists of:
- A $2,500 honorarium
- A commemorative plaque
- Complimentary registration and travel expenses for the winner and spouse to attend the ASPET Annual Meeting at Experimental Biology
- The awardee may be invited to deliver a lecture at the ASPET Annual Meeting at Experimental Biology
- The candidate must be a member of ASPET
- The nomination must be made by an ASPET member
- No candidate may be nominated for more than one major ASPET award in any given year
Criteria and Selection
- The award is made on the basis of demonstrated ethical behavior, commitment to teaching, high scientific standards, and support of young scientists as exemplified by Dr. Otto Krayer, as well as the importance of the candidate’s research contributions to the field and promotion of interdisciplinary research to reveal the actions of drugs. Published research is high quality and demonstrates originality and the significant impact of the candidate’s accomplishments in any area of pharmacology.
- Selection will be made by the ASPET Awards Committee, appointed by the President of ASPET
Nominations shall be submitted using the ASPET Awards Portal by logging into the blue box on the right. The nominations shall consist of:
- The candidate's curriculum vitae and bibliography in PDF.
- A brief biographical summary of the candidate and the importance of their work for use in award winner announcements (in no more than 150 words.)
- Six published articles and/or manuscripts that have been accepted for publication that have direct bearing on this award. Each document should be provided as a separate PDF.
- Letter of nomination that includes a summary that details the importance of the candidate's work (in a PDF up to 1000 words.)