Award Description | Eligibility | Criteria and Selection | Nomination Submission | Nomination Deadline | Prior Recipients
The E. Leong Way award, originally established in 1988, was relaunched in 2019 to provide financial support to defray the expenses for an ASPET emeritus member to attend the ASPET Annual Meeting at EB. The award honors Edward Leong Way (1916-2017). A former president of ASPET, Dr. Way is remembered for his contributions to drug metabolism research, opioid pharmacology, and a western understanding of Chinese traditional medicine, as well as the numerous scientists he mentored over 75 years of his professional life.
This travel award may be presented annually and will consist of:
- Complimentary registration to the ASPET Annual Meeting at EB
- Reimbursement of up to $1500 in travel expenses to help defray costs to attend the ASPET Annual Meeting at EB
- The candidate must be an emeritus member of ASPET in good standing.
- The nominator must be a member of ASPET in good standing (self-nominations are permitted).
- No candidate may receive more than one ASPET award in any given year.
- The current Council president and secretary/treasurer are ineligible during their active tenure.
Criteria and Selection
Selection will be made at the discretion of the ASPET Awards Committee on the basis of the level of impact the award will have for the candidate and/or for ASPET attendees who will interact with the candidate at the meeting and on the basis of ASPET's intent to honor Dr. Way as described above.
Nominations shall be submitted using the ASPET Awards Portal by logging into the box below. The nominations shall consist of:
- Candidate's curriculum vitae and bibliography in PDF.
- A letter of nomination (or a statement of need for self-nominations) limited to no more than 500 words
- A brief biographical summary of the candidate and the importance of his/her work for use in award winner announcements (in no more than 150 words.)
If any of the following relationships exist between the nominator and the candidate, you are encouraged to disclose it in your letter of nomination: family member, spouse, partner; current dean, departmental chair, or postdoctoral or graduate advisor; current business or financial relationship (e.g., business partner, employer, employee); research collaborator or co-author within the last three years; work at the same institution or having accepted a position at the same institution; previous graduate student or postdoctoral fellow in the last five years; or if either are currently serving on the award selection committee for this award.