Last Updated: August 5, 2019
The American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET) is a nonprofit scientific society with the purpose of promoting pharmacological knowledge and its application and conducting research pertaining thereto. ASPET publishes journals,
newsletters, and other materials; holds an annual scientific meeting and other meetings; supports divisions and chapters to encourage communication among members and others; and conducts other business that is pertinent to the Society’s purpose
ASPET respects and is committed to protecting the privacy of its members, subscribers, and readers. This Privacy Statement describes the policy and practice for use of information collected online from the ASPET website, the websites for ASPET’s
wholly owned journals, and their affiliated websites, and all order forms and member services accessible from those sites. These sites may link to other websites over which ASPET has no control and, therefore, is not responsible. Your use of ASPET
websites constitutes your acceptance of this Privacy Statement. If you do not agree with all the terms in this Privacy Statement, you should not use ASPET websites or services.
Please note that there is a separate policy for data collected through the Members Only portion of the ASPET site https://www.aspet.org. This policy can be found at https://www.aspet.org/aspet/about-us/about-the-aspet-website.
This Privacy Statement describes:
- The types of information ASPET collects from members, subscribers, and readers and how this information is used
- With whom ASPET shares the information it collects
- Steps that ASPET takes to protect the privacy of the information it collects
- Choices the user may make about the information he or she provides
- Information about ASPET Connect Community
- Information for European Union Citizens
1. Types and Use of Information Collected
A. Personal Information
ASPET collects only information supplied by the user. On certain web pages, ASPET asks the user to enter personal information such as name, demographic information (birth date, gender, race and ethnicity), address, email address,
telephone number, fax number, credit card number, and other information from which the user's identity is discernible. Applicants are encouraged, but not required, to provide demographic information so we can track our progress in increasing diversity
in our Society. Examples include:
B. Non-Personal Information
ASPET also collects information from other sources, such as:
the website from functioning properly.
- IP addresses. These are used to monitor user activity.
- Web-beacons. These are objects embedded into a webpage or email which allow ASPET to confirm that the user has viewed the webpage or the email.
This information is used to operate the ASPET website and deliver the services you request. ASPET may also use your personally identifiable information to inform you of other products or services available from ASPET. ASPET may also contact you through
surveys to get your opinion of current services or of potential new services that may be offered.
ASPET will use credit card information only to process a payment. ASPET does not store credit card information.
2. Sharing of Information
ASPET does not sell or otherwise disclose the information it collects to third parties, except as follows:
- Certain information is shared with service providers retained by ASPET. For example, in order to allow subscribers to have access to ASPET’s journals, IP addresses are shared with the vendor whose servers host the journals.
- If required to do so by law or if requested/subpoenaed by law enforcement agencies.
- ASPET may rent its list of postal addresses to parties who provide products or services of interest to pharmacologists. Members who do not wish to have their postal addresses shared in this manner can contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Email addresses
are never rented or sold to third parties.
3. Steps ASPET Takes to Protect the Privacy of Information It Collects
ASPET implements reasonable technical and administrative practices to safeguard the information it collects, including running up-to-date antivirus and antispyware programs on its computers and servers. ASPET employees are trained on appropriate use of
information and the need for confidentiality. In addition, credit card payments submitted online are processed through secure portals. Credit card numbers submitted online are not stored by ASPET.
4. Your Choices
- If you would like to update your member contact information and preferences, you can do so on your membership profile.
- If you do not wish to have your postal address shared with third parties, email email@example.com
- If you would like to modify your preferences for email alerts for any of ASPET’s wholly owned journals, you can do so at
- To unsubscribe from email alerts from ASPET, click “manage your subscriptions” at the bottom of the email or visit http://www.magnetmail.net/actions/subscription_manage_aspet.cfm. To unsubscribe from email alerts from ASPET journals,
click “unsubscribe” at the bottom of the email.
- Your use of ASPET websites constitutes your acceptance of this Privacy Statement. If you do not agree with all the terms in this Privacy Statement, you should not use ASPET websites or services.
5. ASPETConnect Community
Data from membership profiles is shared with the ASPETConnect Higher Logic Platform (a third party host). Some information posted to our online discussion forum may be available for viewing by ASPET members. Use of such interactive
web pages is voluntary, and information posted on these formats may be deleted at any time. If you wish to not have your data shared with ASPETConnect, it can be removed. The discussion forum is not actively monitored, and we expect communications on such pages to
be respectful of others and of ASPET’s mission. Please use caution when posting information as ASPET does not control the sending or receiving of email messages as a result of postings to our community. ASPETConnect posts are viewable by other
members, and a Directory of Members is available only to members to search.
6. Information for European Union Citizens
Under the GDPR, visitors and subscribers who are EU citizens have the rights to request from us access to Personal Data we store about you, to amend (or rectify) this data, to restrict our processing of the Personal Data, to erase the data, and to receive
a copy of the data in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format (data portability). If you wish to invoke a right under the GDPR, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line “GDPR Request” in the subject
line. Your e-mail should include a sufficiently detailed description of the GDPR right with which you seek assistance along with appropriate contact information. We may need to contact you for further information. ASPET will notify you if your request
has been granted or declined, or if exemptions apply. ASPET may release membership lists or personal identifying information if we determine the release is appropriate to comply with the law, to enforce or apply our contractual rights or obligations,
to protect the rights, property, or safety of ASPET, our members, or others, or to establish a legal claim or defense.
If you have provided consent for the processing and storing of your data, you have the right (in certain circumstances) to withdraw that consent at any time, which will not affect the lawfulness of the processing before your consent was withdrawn.
If you are a European Union citizen and wish to have your personal information removed from our systems entirely and permanently, please contact us at email@example.com to initiate the process. Please keep in mind this is irreversible and we will not be
able to recover your previous membership terms or any other past records if you wish to rejoin or become a member in the future. You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) if you believe that we
have not complied with the requirements of the GDPR with regard to your Personal Data.
Changes to this Privacy Statement
ASPET reserves the right to make changes to this Privacy Statement at any time. Your continued use of the sites after any change indicates your agreement with this Privacy Statement.
ASPET welcomes your comments regarding this Privacy Statement. If you believe that ASPET has not adhered to this Statement, please contact ASPET at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will use reasonable efforts to promptly assess and remedy the problem.