The American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics encourages the presentation of colloquia on timely topics, in conjunction with its annual or regional meetings, or as separate events. The Program Committee is responsible for approving proposals for ASPET-sponsored colloquia.
Colloquia are one- to-two day comprehensive overviews of a particular area of research. Organizers of colloquia held in conjunction with the annual meeting are strongly encouraged to include a poster session to enable students and young scientists to participate in both the colloquium and the annual meeting.
A. Deadline for Submission
For colloquia being proposed in conjunction with the annual meeting, organizers must submit their proposals no later than March 1 of the year preceding the proposed meeting date. This will allow the Program Committee to evaluate all proposals for colloquia together with the symposia to insure a well-integrated program for the annual meeting. For colloquia proposed for presentation at other times of year, organizers must submit proposals no later than 13 months in advance to allow time for scheduling and budgeting.
B. Content of Proposal for Colloquia
Colloquia may be initiated by any member of ASPET at any time by submitting a proposal to the ASPET office or communicating with the Program Committee Chair. The communication should present reasons as to why the colloquium is desirable and give some details on the proposal. The following points should be addressed:
- Proposed Title.
- Justification of need for an ASPET colloquium in the particular field. The number of colloquia approved will be limited and the justification will be important in the Committee's evaluation. Thus justification should include the timeliness of the topic and whether a similar course has been recently presented at which ASPET members are likely to have been in attendance. If the venue is to be other than as a satellite to the Experimental Biology meeting, justification for the timing and location must also be provided.
- Objectives. The proposal must include a description of the learning objectives of the colloquium.
- Divisional Support. Please describe any ASPET division support for the topic area covered by the colloquium. Also, list all divisions to which the topic covered in the colloquium may appeal.
- Speakers/Talk Titles. Names of proposed speakers, their ASPET membership status, their professional affiliation, title of their presentations, and a one-two sentence synopsis of their topic. A maximum of two speakers from a single institution may be proposed. Alternate speakers should be proposed. It is not necessary, and sometimes not desirable, to contact prospective speakers prior to submitting a colloquium proposal as the Program Committee may suggest changes.
- Format. Please describe the format for the proposed colloquium. Examples include lectures, panels, poster session, break-out rooms or table discussions, etc.
- The intended year and meeting for the colloquium.
- Mailing addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses for the proposed speakers and for the organizer(s).
- Budget. Please prepare a preliminary budget for the colloquium. ASPET staff will work with the organizer to identify expenses and to refine the budget once the colloquium is approved. Indicate your plans to secure funding from sources such as corporate sponsorships, universities, or other societies. In cases where a third party is jointly sponsoring the colloquium with ASPET, a memorandum of understanding (MOU) will be required with the ASPET office.
C. Review Process
After receipt, the Program Committee will review the proposal. ASPET Staff will contact colloquium organizer(s) with feedback from the committee. If the colloquium is approved, or approved with modification, further instructions will be provided concerning modification of the proposal, follow-up correspondence with speakers, finalization of the program and date of the colloquium.
D. Financial Assistance from ASPET
Colloquia are budgeted to be revenue neutral, i.e. the registration fees and sponsor support are set to cover the costs of the colloquium. ASPET staff will assist in preparing the budget. No honoraria are provided. Speakers are typically given complimentary registration and partial support for travel and lodging.
In all cases, the preliminary budget will include an amount of outside support to be raised by the organizers of the colloquium. For colloquia held in conjunction with the annual meeting, at least half of the budgeted amount of outside support MUST be guaranteed by December 1st or the colloquium will be cancelled (the go/no go decision date). This is subject to review by the Program Committee or Council. Significant penalties for cancellation may exist with the venue and close attention needs to be paid to the cancellation dates and penalties. The contractual terms of the space and vendor agreements may require that we move the proposed December 1st go/no go decision date forward. For colloquia held at other times of year, at least half the budgeted amount of support must be guaranteed at least 4 months prior to the scheduled colloquium.
E. Other Assistance
For ASPET sponsored colloquiums held either in conjunction with EB or separately, all commitments and contracts must be handled by the ASPET office. ASPET staff will provide support in terms of contracting for meeting space, audiovisual, meals, poster boards, and overnight accommodations.
Securing space for the colloquium is an important consideration. Attaching the request onto the existing contracts for the EB meeting can often avoid significant expense and contractual obligations/penalties for the space and/or catering.
The ASPET office can also assist with publicizing the colloquium, handling preregistration, and helping to prepare copies of program material.
Download complete guidelines (PDF) »