- Remember that media helps to shape public opinion and can help influence the political agenda.
- Local media is typically easier to access than national media - remember that all politics is local.
- Letters to the editor are helpful to make counterpoints or support articles concerning biomedical research.
- Consider co-signing with colleagues or groups (i.e., student-postdoctoral associations) to signify a consensus.
- Op-eds allow for more in-depth discussion and often are welcomed by editors at your local media outlet. They are subject to strict editorial and space requirements so check with them before you write. And remember timeliness of the issue is critical.
- Your institution's media office can provide good advice and recommendations on how best to proceed in your market.
Last Updated: August 7, 2017