Background and Mission | Chapter Bylaws |
Officers and Councilors for 2019-2020
| Chapter Annual Meeting | Past Meetings
Background and Mission
The formation of the local Midwest affiliate of the American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET) was spearheaded on June 10, 1987 by Dr. William K. Riker, past president of ASPET, Dr. Seymour Ehrenpreis of the Chicago Medical School, Dr. Toshio Narahashi of Northwestern Medical School, and Dr. Israel Hanin of Loyola University Chicago. Key individuals in the Chicago area were then contacted to establish a voluntary executive working group that ultimately organized the first Scientific Day at the University of Chicago on Thursday, May 12, 1988.
Since the first scientific program, annual meetings have been held each spring to foster the goals of ASPET to promote scientific communication among research workers interested in pharmacology. The chapter has consistently met the ASPET requirements of a chapter affiliate throughout its existence by holding a least one annual meeting, maintaining a membership roster of at least 20 ASPET members in good standing.
Officers and Councilors (2021–2022)
- President – Takeshi Shimamura, PhD – Associate Professor Department of Surgery, UI Cancer Center, College of Medicine, University Illinois at Chicago
- Vice President - James O’Donnell, PhD - Assistant Professor
Department of Medical Education, Innovation, and Humanities, Department of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
- Treasurer – Ricardo Monzon, PhD - Associate Professor Department of Biological Sciences, St. Xavier University
- Secretary – Adriana Caballero, PhD, Research Assistant Professor Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University Illinois at Chicago
- Past President – Murali Prakriya, PhD – Professor, Department of Pharmacology, Feinberg School of Medicine Northwestern University.
- Past President – Phillip Kopf, PhD - Professor and Chair Department of Pharmacology, CCOM, Midwestern University
- Past President – Eric AG Blomme, DVM, PhD - VP and Senior Research Fellow Development Biological Sciences, AbbVie Inc.
- Councilor – Rebecca Kohnken DVM, PhD, DACVP – Principal Pathologist Principal Pathologist, AbbVie Inc.
- Councilor – William Conrad, PhD, Assistant Professor of Chemistry Lake Forest College
- Councilor – Marsha Pierce, PhD, Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacology, Midwestern University
- Councilor – Hemraj Dodiya, PhD, Research Assistant Professor, Department of Neurobiology, The University of Chicago
- Councilor – Rachel Miller, PhD, Assistant Professor, Division of Rheumatology and Dept of Physiology & Biophysics, Rush University Medical Center
Chapter Annual Meeting
The Great Lakes chapter's annual meetings have consistently drawn a wide representation of the mid-western pharmacology community. The chapter's 2021 annual meeting on "COVID-19: Therapeutics, Diagnostics, and Surveillance" will be held on August 27, 2021. For more information, please visit 2021 GLC ASPET Annual Meeting page.