Background and Mission | Chapter Bylaws |
Officers and Councilors for 2018-2019
| Chapter Annual Meeting | Past Meetings
Background and Mission
The formation of the local Midwest affiliate of the American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET) was spearheaded on June 10, 1987 by Dr. William K. Riker, past president of ASPET, Dr. Seymour Ehrenpreis of the Chicago Medical School, Dr. Toshio Narahashi of Northwestern Medical School, and Dr. Israel Hanin of Loyola University Chicago. Key individuals in the Chicago area were then contacted to establish a voluntary executive working group that ultimately organized the first Scientific Day at the University of Chicago on Thursday, May 12, 1988.
Since the first scientific program, annual meetings have been held each spring to foster the goals of ASPET to promote scientific communication among research workers interested in pharmacology. The chapter has consistently met the ASPET requirements of a chapter affiliate throughout its existence by holding a least one annual meeting, maintaining a membership roster of at least 20 ASPET members in good standing.
Officers and Councilors (2019–2020)
- President – Murali Prakriya, PhD, Professor, Department of Pharmacology, Feinberg School of Medicine Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
- Vice President – Takeshi Shimamura, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL
- Treasurer – Ricardo Monzon, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, St. Xavier University, Chicago, IL
- Secretary – James O’Donnell, PhD, Assistant Professor, Department of Medical Education, Innovation, and Humanities, Department of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, North Chicago, IL
- Past President – Phillip Kopf, PhD, Associate Professor and Chair, Department of Pharmacology, CCOM, Midwestern University, Downers Grove, IL
- Councilor – Adriana Caballero, PhD, Research Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, UIC, Chicago, IL
- Past President – Eric AG Blomme, DVM, PhD, VP and Senior Research Fellow, Global Preclinical Safety, AbbVie Inc., North Chicago, IL
- Councilor – Rebecca Kohnken DVM, PhD, DACVP, Principal Pathologist, Global Preclinical Safety, AbbVie Research and Development., North Chicago, IL
- Councilor – Abdul Hye Khan, PhD, Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
- Councilor – Michael Bradaric, PhD, Assistant Professor, Department of Cell & Molecular Medicine, Rush Medical College, Chicago, IL
- Councilor – Megumi Yamashita, PhD, DDS, Research Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacology, Feinberg School of Medicine Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
Chapter Annual Meeting
The Great Lakes chapter's annual meetings have consistently drawn a wide representation of the mid-western pharmacology community. The chapter's 2020 annual meeting on "Neuropharmacology of Pain and Addiction" will be held in Chicago, Illinois on June 12, 2020. For more information, please visit 2020 GLC ASPET Annual Meeting page.