Award Description | Presentation | Eligibility | Application Criteria | Application Submission | Application Deadline | Prior Recipients
The David Lehr Research Award is intended to extend funding for preclinical or clinical research directed towards improving human health. This award is made possible by an endowment to ASPET from Mrs. Lisa Lehr in honor of her husband, the late Dr. David Lehr, former chair of the Department of Pharmacology for New York Medical College.
We encourage applications from the following:
- An investigator who requires "bridging" funds to enhance a grant application for competitive renewal,
- An investigator who has a research project currently supported by a "no cost extension" and desires additional funds to enhance a grant resubmission, or
- An investigator who desires funds to acquire preliminary data in support of a new grant submission.
The award is presented biennially in odd-numbered years, at the award ceremony during the ASPET Annual Meeting. The award consists of:
- $50,000 per year for two years ($100,000 total)
- A commemorative plaque
- Complimentary registration and travel expenses for the winner and spouse to attend the award presentation at the ASPET Annual Meeting at Experimental Biology
- Applicants for this award must be at least 45 years of age by September 15 (nomination deadline) of the year in which they are applying.
- The applicant must be a current ASPET member in good standing.
- The applicant must be the principal investigator (PI) of the award proposal submitted.
- The applicant may only submit one (1) application per award cycle.
Application Criteria and Terms
The award will be given to an ASPET member whose research, either preclinical or clinical, may introduce novel pharmacologic approaches or technologies focusing on advancing human health care, and have a clear need for such funding to maintain research productivity.
- The awarded funds must be used to support research activities for which there is a gap in funding or for the purpose of acquiring preliminary data to support the submission of a new grant proposal.
- The awarded funds will NOT support facilities and administrative costs or travel.
- The purchase of large equipment may be covered, but this must be justified in the application.
- No indirect costs will be provided.
- The award may be used to support the salaries of the principal investigator (PI), postdoctoral fellows, or research staff whose efforts are directed toward the aims of the proposal.
- Awards will be made to the employing institution of the PI for the sole use by the PI.
- All publications resulting from the award must acknowledge the ASPET David Lehr Research Award as a source of funding.
- The initial start date for the David Lehr Research Award is May 1st, after the award presentation at the ASPET Annual Meeting at Experimental Biology. The second year start date will be May 1st of the following year. For example, if the award is presented at the 2017 Annual Meeting, the start date will be May 1st, 2017 for the first year and May 1st, 2018 for the second year. The Award period will terminate on April 30, 2019.
The application for the award will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Significance – Does the project address an important problem or a critical barrier to progress in the field?
- Investigator(s) – Are the PI and other collaborators well-suited to the project?
- Approach – Are the overall strategy, methodology, and analyses well-reasoned and appropriate to accomplish the specific aims of the project?
- Need – Does the applicant have a demonstrated need for funding keeping in mind the intent of the award?
- Feasibility – Is the proposed research feasible given the funding and duration provided by the award?
If applicable, the following information should also be included in the application:
- List all other persons (faculty, students, technicians) who might be assisting or collaborating on this project. If the applicant is planning on having a co-investigator, include a biosketch for that faculty member as well. Provide a justification for salaries for all personnel.
- Itemize and identify any item in excess of $5000 that will be purchased with these funds and justify the purpose of the equipment.
- Protections for Human Subjects and Vertebrate Animals. Current approval numbers and dates of approval for the use of human or vertebrate animals must be included per NIH guidelines.
Selection of the award recipient will be made by a committee appointed by the President of ASPET and composed of ASPET members who bring specific expertise related to the topic of the award proposal.
Nominations shall be submitted using the ASPET Awards Portal by logging into the box below. The nominations shall consist of:
- The candidate's CV in "NIH Biosketch" format in PDF.
- A brief biographical summary of the candidate and his/her work (in up to 200 words.)
- The project title.
- An "abstract" of no more than 400 words detailing the importance of the candidate's work and how it meets the review criteria of the award.
- Endorsement Form with required signatures completed and uploaded as a PDF.
- An application in PDF of no more than 2 pages addressing the details of the review criteria listed above.