December 15-17, 2019
ASPET is pleased to be a guest society at the British Pharmacological Society’s (BPS) annual meeting Pharmacology 2019 in Edinburgh, UK.
The meeting will include a selection of topical symposia, plenary lectures, oral presentations, and poster sessions covering the whole spectrum of pharmacology. The ASPET/BPS Joint Symposium, Precision Medicine: Progress and Challenges will be held on Monday, December 16.
The identification and application of genomic information to the prediction, diagnosis, and treatment of specific human diseases has been variously referred to as precision, personalized, stratified, or targeted medicine. The complete sequencing of the human genome at the turn of the century led many biomedical researchers and clinicians to expect that genetic based diagnosis and appropriately targeted therapies would rapidly become the standard of care for many diseases. Over the last two decades improvements in pharmacogenomic analysis of serious drug reactions and the development of highly effective therapies for some cancers and rare diseases have been realized. However, a broader application of precision medicine approaches has been hindered by issues of pathogenic DNA penetrance and polygenic risk factors associated with many common diseases. This symposium will provide an overview of the state-of-art for precision medicine approaches and highlight some current successes and limitations.
- Michael Jarvis, Abbvie
- Andrew Lawrence, Florey Inst
- David MacEwan, Univ Liverpool
- Kenneth Thummel, Univ. Washington, Implementing Precision Medicine: Overview of Progress
- Bhagwat Prasad, Univ. Washington, Quantitative Proteomics in Precision Medicine
- Sir Munir Pirmohamed, Univ. Liverpool, Pharmacogenomics of Adverse Drug Reactions
- James Thaventhrivan, Univ. Cambridge, Learning About the Pharmacological Targeting of Immune Checkpoints in Rare-Patients
- Steve Cunningham, Univ. Edinburgh, The Development and Clinical Impact of CFTR Modulators in Cystic Fibrosis
In addition, there will be a number of social events offering networking opportunities so attendees can build their connections with both ASPET and other international members. Be sure to catch one of the ASPET delegates in attendance to learn more about how you can get involved in ASPET.