ASPET Best Presentation Awards
Applications are currently closed for EB2017.
Please use the blue box on the right to log in with your ASPET member user name and password. If you do not remember your user name or password, please contact email@example.com.
Best Presentation awards are offered for outstanding presentations by undergraduates, graduate students, and postdoctoral scientists attending the ASPET Annual Meeting at Experimental Biology 2017. Awards are offered both by ASPET divisions and by the Mentoring and Career Development committee (Dolores Shockley award for underrepresented groups). Awards include cash prizes; the value of awards varies by category. Applicants for division awards should choose the division most closely aligned with the research. Qualified individuals from any division may also be eligible to apply for the Dolores Shockley award. For additional information on cash prizes, judging criteria, and other competition details, please view the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section below.
Selected individuals may be asked to present their research at the ASPET Student/Postdoc Poster Competition that takes place on Sunday evening, April 23, 2017, or at a division oral session. If selected, you will be contacted with the details of your presentation type and time. Please note that the ASPET Student/Postdoc Poster Competition is in addition to the general EB poster sessions; you will need to transport your own poster between events.
- Applicants may only submit one application to the competition.
- Applicants for the Dolores Shockley poster award for underrepresented groups may also compete within their division, but it is not required.
- Submission of an application does not guarantee that an individual will be chosen to compete.
- Applications for travel awards must be made separately. Please see the travel awards webpage for more details.
- All applicants must be members of ASPET in good standing. The current year’s dues must be paid before we will accept an application. Please plan ahead and apply for membership at least two weeks prior to the award deadline.
- Applicants conducting pharmacology-related research, including, but not limited to, those representing departments of pharmacology, toxicology, physiology, pharmaceutical sciences and/or biological chemistry are encouraged to apply.
- All applicants must have submitted and be the presenting author of an abstract in an ASPET topic category.
- Undergraduates must be enrolled full-time in an undergraduate degree program and not have completed their degree requirements by May 1, 2017.
- Graduate students must be enrolled full-time in a graduate or professional degree program and not have completed their degree requirements by May 1, 2017.
- Postdoctoral scientists must have received a PhD or equivalent degree in pharmacology or a related field within five years prior to the date of application. They must also be eligible to register for EB2017 in the postdoctoral category.
- Applicants for the Dolores Shockley poster award must be members of groups defined by the NIH to be underrepresented in the biomedical sciences, which include: Black or African-American, Alaskan Native, Hispanic or Latino, Native American, and natives of the US Pacific Islands.
Applications must be received by 5:00 PM EST on Monday, November 21, 2016. Applications are currently closed.
How to Apply
- You must have already submitted your abstract via the Experimental Biology site. You will need the text of your abstract and your abstract number to submit this application.
- You will need to upload a current curriculum vitae (CV), broken down into the following sections: 1) Education, 2) Positions Held, 3) Awards and Honors, 4) Professional Society Memberships, 5) Publications, 6) Abstracts accepted for presentation (include authors, abstract title, and name, date and location of conference)
- Please note that a letter of recommendation is not required. Once you have the required information, apply via the ASPET Awards Portal by using the login box on the right.
Q: Am I automatically considered for the ASPET Best Presentation awards when I submit my abstract to Experimental Biology?
A: No, you must apply separately through ASPET’s Awards Portal (via the blue box on the right of this page).
Q: Does submitting to the Best Presentation competition automatically enter me for a travel award?
A: No, you must apply separately for a travel award. Please visit the travel awards webpage for more details.
Q: When will I find out if I have been accepted to compete for a Best Presentation award?
A: Notifications will be sent out in time to take advantage of the early registration deadline, which falls on February 23, 2017 for EB2017.
Q: I was accepted to compete, but I can no longer attend the meeting. Can another author give the presentation for me?
A: Because the competition evaluates both the research and the researcher, no author substitutions are allowed. If you are unable to attend the meeting, your entry will be withdrawn from the competition.
Q: How will my poster be judged?
A: Please see the poster judging form (PDF) for details.
Q: If I win an award in the competition, what will I receive?
A: Please see the prize list for details.
Q: If I have won a cash prize, when can I expect to receive it?
A: Please allow 6 to 8 weeks following the conclusion of the Annual Meeting to receive your prize.
Q: I was selected to participate in last year’s competition. Can I apply again?
A: Yes, you may apply again.
Q: I would like to compete in the Dolores Shockley poster competition. Can I also compete in my division?
A: Yes, you may also compete in your division, although it’s not required. Please be sure to opt-in for the division competition on your application. Please note that the competitions occur simultaneously.
Q: When and where will I find out if I have won an award?
A: Each division announces their awards at division events during the Annual Meeting, typically on Monday and Tuesday. The winners of the Dolores Shockley award are announced on Sunday evening immediately following the competition. A schedule will be provided to each competitor.
If you have other questions about a Best Presentation award, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org