ASPET Travel Awards
Applications are now closed.
Please use the blue box on the right to log in with your ASPET member user name and password. If you do not remember your user name or password, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The objective of the ASPET Travel Award Program is to encourage the career development of young scientists through their participation in the ASPET Annual Meeting at Experimental Biology. ASPET believes that attendance at the ASPET Annual Meeting provides the opportunity for young scientists to learn about recent advances in pharmacology, network with peers and international experts in the field of pharmacology, and to contribute their own work to the scientific dialogue.
Undergraduates, graduate students, and postdoctoral scientists are invited to apply for a travel award to help defray the costs of travel and housing to attend the ASPET Annual Meeting at Experimental Biology 2017. ASPET offers two types of specialty awards in addition to the general travel award: 1) travel awards for members of groups underrepresented in the biomedical sciences, and 2) international travel awards for applicants from developing countries. Please see eligibility details for these award types below.
ASPET travel awards consist of a base sum of $600, registration reimbursement (at the early registration rate), plus travel reimbursement for eligible expenses provided upon submission of valid receipts after the meeting. General travel awards and underrepresented travel awards include up to $400 in travel reimbursement; international travel awards for applicants from developing countries include up to $900 in travel reimbursement. All checks are provided in US dollars.
- Graduate student and Postdoctoral award winners are required to attend the Graduate Student/Postdoctoral Colloquium at the ASPET Annual Meeting at Experimental Biology (EB) on Saturday afternoon, April 22, 2017. The award will be voided if the individual does not attend. Undergraduates are welcome to attend the Colloquium, but it is not required.
- Checks and award certificates will be presented at the ASPET Business Meeting at EB on Saturday evening, April 22, 2017; travel award winners must attend this meeting.
- Reimbursement for registration is only available at the early registration rate.
- Reimbursement of travel expenses requires valid receipts and must be in accordance with ASPET policies. Eligible expenses will be reimbursed after the meeting.
- Award funds are to be used exclusively for eligible expenses associated with the EB2017 meeting. If you did not incur expenses up to the award limit, you may not carry over or defer funds for future years or other purposes.
- Applicants may only apply for one ASPET travel award; they may not receive a travel award from another EB host society.
- Submission of an application does not guarantee receipt of a travel award.
- Applications for ASPET’s Best Presentation awards must be made separately. Please see the Best Presentation awards webpage for more details.
- All applicants must be members of ASPET in good standing. The current year’s dues must be paid before we will accept an application. Please plan ahead and apply for membership at least two weeks prior to the award deadline.
- Applicants conducting pharmacology-related research, including, but not limited to, those representing departments of pharmacology, toxicology, physiology, pharmaceutical sciences and/or biological chemistry are encouraged to apply.
- All applicants must have submitted and be the presenting author of an abstract in an ASPET topic category.
- Undergraduates must be enrolled full-time in an undergraduate degree program and not have completed their degree requirements by May 1, 2017.
- Graduate students must be enrolled full-time in a graduate or professional degree program and not have completed their degree requirements by May 1, 2017.
- Postdoctoral scientists must have received a PhD or equivalent degree in pharmacology or a related field within five years prior to the date of application. They must also be eligible to register for EB2017 in the postdoctoral category.
- Awards for underrepresented students and postdoctoral scientists are available for members of groups defined by the NIH to be underrepresented in the biomedical sciences, which include: Black or African-American, Alaskan Native, Hispanic or Latino, Native American, and natives of the US Pacific Islands.
- A very limited number of international awards are available for applicants from developing countries, defined as falling within Category I or Category II for reduced ASPET membership rates. Applicants not chosen for an international award will automatically be considered for the general awards.
Applications are currently closed.
How to Apply
- You must have already submitted your abstract by the abstract deadline of November 17, 2016 via the Experimental Biology site. You will need the text of your abstract and your abstract number to submit this application.
- You will need to upload a current curriculum vitae (CV), broken down into the following sections: 1) Education, 2) Positions Held, 3) Awards and Honors, 4) Professional Society Memberships, 5) Publications, 6) Abstracts accepted for presentation (include authors, abstract title, and name, date and location of conference)
- You will also need the full name and email address of an individual who can provide a letter of recommendation to support your application. You should choose a mentor, professor, or other professional who is familiar with you and your research. This person does not need to be a member of ASPET. An email request will automatically be sent to this individual with instructions for completing the letter. Please allow a sufficient amount of time prior to the deadline for your reference to submit a letter; you may request this letter prior to finalizing the rest of your application.
- Once you have the required information, apply via the ASPET Awards Portal by using the login box on the right
Q: Am I automatically considered for the ASPET travel awards when I submit my abstract to Experimental Biology?
A: No, you must apply separately through ASPET’s Awards Portal (via the blue box on the right of this page).
Q: Does submitting an application for a travel award automatically enter me into consideration for a Best Presentation award?
A: No, you must apply separately for a Best Presentation award. Please visit the Best Presentation awards webpage for more details.
Q: When will I find out if I have won a travel award?
A: Notifications will be sent out in time to take advantage of the early registration deadline, which falls on February 23, 2017 for EB2017.
Q: When will I receive my reimbursement?
A: Please allow 4 to 6 weeks from the time your completed materials are received by the ASPET office.
Q: I was selected for a travel award to last year’s meeting. Can I apply again?
A: Yes, you may apply again.
Q: If I receive a travel award, do I need to register for the meeting or will ASPET handle it for me?
A: You must register yourself for the meeting. Registration reimbursement at the early rate will be included with your award check.
Q: I won a prize for my poster or oral presentation at EB2016, and it came with an offer of travel funds for EB2017. Can I still apply for a travel award?
A: Yes, you may apply for an ASPET travel award, but if you are offered an award, you will need to forfeit the division-based travel funds in order to accept it.
Q: What happens if I cannot attend the Student/Postdoctoral Colloquium?
A: If you have an emergency that prevents your attendance, we may be able to excuse attendance. These situations are evaluated on a case by case basis.
Q: What happens if I cannot attend the ASPET Business Meeting to pick up my check? Can someone else pick it up for me?
A: You must claim your check in person. If an emergency prevents your attendance at the Business Meeting, you will need to pick it up from the ASPET on-site office before the conclusion of the Annual Meeting.
Q: What are ASPET’s travel reimbursement policies?
A: Please see our travel reimbursement guidelines (PDF) for more information.
If you have other questions about a travel award, please email us at email@example.com.