My development as a pharmacology educator since 2002 has been on an evolutionary trajectory. Indeed, it spanned different levels of the higher education hierarchy; I metamorphosed from a Teaching Assistant to course Director and Associate Professor. Besides serving on the School and University assigned committees and as an advisor for medical and master's students, I have had the good fortune to serve as a National Faculty for Pharmacology on the National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners (NBOME) since 2016 and as a reviewer for the British Pharmacological Society (BPS) annual meeting submissions since 2017. Additionally, I served as a member of the IAMSE 2021 and IAMSE 2022 Program committees and as a reviewer for the submission to Educating Leaders 2021,2022 AACOM meetings. I also served as a section chair for the Association of Medical School Pharmacology Chairs (AMSPC) Knowledge Objectives (KOs) project for ANS pharmacology. I serve on the IAMSE educational scholarship committee, IAMSE financial committee, The BPS international advisory group, The BPS awards panel, ASPET/ DPE Executive Committee.
My research interests include molecular pharmacology and medical education. My molecular pharmacology research focuses on the role of the cannabinoid system in neurological diseases. My current studies involve investigating the cannabinoid receptor (CB1R) interacting protein (CRIP1a), a small protein that binds to the distal carboxy terminus of CB1R. This project is supported by a sub-award from an R01 grant in collaboration with Wake Forest School of Medicine. My research on medical education focuses on student success and learning development. My research findings were presented at ASPET and IAMSE meetings.
Division for Pharmacology Education (DPE) member
Other Society Memberships/Activities
- International Association of Medical Science Educators (IAMSE) (January 2016-Present).
- IAMSE Faculty Travel Award 2022.
- IAMSE Finance Committee member
- IAMSE Educational scholarship Committee member
- 2022 IAMSE Program Committee member.
- 2021 IAMSE Program Committee member.
- Reviewer for Medical Science Educator 2020.
- IMASE Fellowship recipient 2019.
- IAMSE Faculty Travel Award 2019.
- The Association for Medical Education in Europe (AMEE) (June 2016-June 2017)
The AMEE-ESME Certificate in Medical Education. Awarded 2017.
- American Society for Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET) (2012-Present).
- Pharmacology Educators Award 2020.
- Pharmacology Academy of Educator Fellow 2021.
- International Cannabinoid Research Society (ICRS) (May 2009 - Present).
- Co-Chair of Oral Presentation session on the 25th Annual Symposium of ICRS, Canada 2015.
- BEST Post-Doctoral Poster Presentation at the 24th Annual Symposium ICRS, Italy 2014.
- Jury Member for the 24th Annual Symposium ICRS, Italy 2014.
- ICRS Travel Award. Awarded 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
- British Pharmacological Society (November 2008 - Present).
- International Advisory group member
- Award panel member
- Abstracts Reviewer for the Annual Meeting 2017- Present.
- Non-Society Meetings Bursary Awarded 2014, 2018 and 2019.
- Schechter Award Winner. Awarded 2009.
British Pharmacological Society Travel Award 2009, 2010.
- Egyptian Medical Syndicate (March 2000 - Present).