About ASPET Fellows (FASPET) Program
Selection as a Fellow of the American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (FASPET) is an honor bestowed to our most distinguished members. Fellows are recognized for their meritorious efforts to advance pharmacology, through their scientific achievements, mentorship, and service to the Society.
See the Inaugural Class of 2019 Fellows.
The designation of Fellow shall remain valid for the duration of ASPET membership. Candidates should consider the advancement to Fellow status as a request to become more actively engaged in the Society.
The ASPET Fellows program encourages nominations that reflect the breadth and diversity of the Society’s membership.
- Nominee must have been a Regular and/or Emeritus member of ASPET for at least 10 years leading up to the year of nomination and must be a member in good standing.
- Nominee should be a scientist who has had a significant and sustained impact on the field of pharmacology.
- Nominee should demonstrate commitment to ASPET, through contributions to committees, editorial boards, or scientific meetings.
- Nominee should demonstrate commitment to mentorship and teaching.
- Although value is placed on a combination of the above criteria, the degree of contributions from each may vary from candidate to candidate.
How to Nominate
- A nomination form must be completed by the sponsor or self-nominator. A sponsor must be a Regular or Emeritus member of ASPET in good standing.
- Each nomination must be accompanied by the nominee’s full CV.
- Each nomination must be accompanied by two letters of support on letterhead. In the case of a sponsored nomination, one of the letters must come from the sponsor. The two support letters must clearly communicate the eligibility requirements and provide a justification for their election as a fellow. One of the two support letters must not be affiliated with the nominee’s institution.
- Each nomination must be accompanied by a short biography (500 words) that communicates the nominee’s contributions to pharmacology, ASPET, and mentorship/teaching. This biography will be used for ASPET promotion on the website if selected as a Fellow.
- Each nomination must be accompanied by a high resolution headshot of the nominee to be used in ASPET promotion if selected as a Fellow.
- It is the responsibility of the sponsor or the self-nominee to ensure that all application materials are submitted to ASPET by the deadline. Nominations received after the deadline or nominations packets that are missing material at the time of deadline will not be considered.
The 2020 nomination cycle will open in May 2020.
Fellow Review Process
The Fellows Committee will be responsible for assessing candidates. The Committee will be charged with evaluating nominations and recommending a list of candidates worthy of ASPET Fellow status to Council. The documentation submitted with a nomination is the basis for the decision; the recommendations will be presented to the ASPET Council for final approval. No more than 1% of total eligible members will be elected each year.
It is expected that the program and requirements for the Fellows program will be reviewed by the Fellows Committee every two years. Any recommendations for revisions will be put forward to Council for approval.
Re-nomination: Any nominee not chosen for Fellow status will be encouraged to re-apply.
Fellows Committee Composition
The committee will consist of up to 10 ASPET Fellows having a term length of no longer than three years and with approximately one-third of the committee rotating off each year. The committee is responsible for both reviewing nominations (including self-nominations) that have been submitted via the online portal, as well as soliciting nominations where appropriate. The committee will then compile a list of finalists for recommendation to the ASPET Council for review and final approval.
How Fellows Are Honored
- Fellows will receive a certificate in a wooden frame and a pin.
- Fellows are recognized by ASPET in various public forums including a profile on the ASPET website with a picture and description, announcement in the membership email newsletter, The Pharmacologist magazine, and social media.
- Fellows are recognized and honored at the ASPET Annual Business Meeting.
- Fellows may be asked to serve on the Fellows Review Committee.